GDPR Privacy Notice
This notice sets out the basis on which we as a Data Controller shall use any personal information we receive from you, whether through our website or otherwise when you interact with us.
How and what Data do we collect?
We collect your personal data mostly through our contact with you and the data is usually provided by you, but in some instances we may receive data about you from other people or organisations for example, GP’s, hospitals, treating professionals or agencies involved with you. However, we will only collect data which is relevant to the matter or issue that we are dealing with.
The types of data we may collect will include, but are not limited to:
Any information that relates to you as an identifiable person, to include name, contact details, financial details, employment and/or business details, health and/or medical records, personal identification documents.
Legal basis for processing your data
- By providing us with the information you have given consent for us to process your personal data (this can be withdrawn at any time by contacting our Data Protection Manager)
- To provide legal services and to comply with our legal obligations.
Our use of information is subject o your instructions, the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and our professional duty of confidentiality.
How will your data be used?
- To fulfil our contract with you to provide legal advice and representation
- For administration purposes to maintain files and account records
- Your data may be shared with third parties who will assist us with the matters and issues we are dealing with which may included but is not limited to, Barristers, Medical Experts, Mediators, Process Servers, Courts and Tribunals, Healthcare professionals, HM Revenue and Customs, Costs Draftsmen, Regulators and other like Authorities, legal professionals and technical experts. Under The Code of Conduct laid down by The Solicitors Regulation Authority there are strict rules for the way in which this information can be shared.
- The Court may require us by law to disclose your information.
- Promotion of our services unless you have opted out of receiving this.
We will never pass your information to a third party without your express permission other than for the purposes as described above.
How we store and protect your personal information
Our hosting provider for our IT system stores documents in servers located within the European Union. Our providers of the hosting services that we use are accredited to the IS027001.
We rarely transfer personal data to other jurisdictions outside of the European Union. If we need to do this we will tell you about the transfer and the safeguards in place to protect your data before the transfer takes place.
We use Cardsaver for monetary transactions.
How long we keep your data
If we are providing legal services to you we will notify you about how long we will keep your data for when we close your matter. We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements and if required to defend against any legal claims.
Your rights to access information
As a data subject you have rights in relation to your personal data processed by us:
- To be informed about the data we hold on you and how your data is handled
- To have any incorrect or out of date data rectified
- To cease to receive certain forms of communication or to restrict processing
- Object to our use of your data
Exercising your rights, queries and complaints
For further information on your rights, to exercise any right or for any query you may have, or if you wish to make a complaint please contact our Data Protection Manager:
Jan Samuel email@example.com
18 Alexandra Road, Barnstaple, Devon. EX32 8BA.
Tel: 01271 343457
If you are unhappy about the way we are managing your data you also have the right to object to the Information Commissioner:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire DK9 5AF
Tel. 0303 123 1113