Speak to a professional negligence specialist for free today, on 01271 343457.
Everybody can make mistakes, but when a professional makes a mistake, this can prove costly to their client. Luckily most professionals have insurance to cover the cost of rectifying their mistakes.
Samuels Solicitors LLP have been assisting clients in making claims against negligent professionals for a number of decades.
We will advise you if you have a viable claim which can pursued in a cost effective manner.
What is Professional Negligence?
Generally speaking, when a professional makes a mistake which causes financial loss, this may amount to a viable claim for professional negligence if the mistake is one which shows the professional has fallen below the standard that you can reasonable expect of that professional.
Examples of where Samuels Solicitors LLP have successfully shown professionals have been negligent in their particular field are given below.
Claims against Solicitors
- A client was not sufficiently advised when she signed a mortgage allowing the family home to be used as security to cover her husband’s debts. In that case, the client lost her home and the solicitors were found to have failed follow the guidelines for advice to be given in these circumstances set out in the Supreme Court case of Barclays Bank v Etridge.
- A client successfully sued solicitors who failed to maintain a right of way over land which was being sold to another party. Samuels Solicitors LLP successfully recovered compensation for the loss in value of the retained land.
- Samuels Solicitors LLP have acted against solicitors on several occasions where there have been mistakes in correctly identifying boundaries in conveyancing transactions. In one case, a client successfully sued even where a series of solicitors had failed to spot a boundary area where the garden in a new development had not been laid out according to the original plan.
- Samuels Solicitors LLP have acted in numerous cases where incorrect advice had been given in relation to jointly owned properties. The most common mistake is where solicitors fail to identify whether the clients hold properties as joint tenants or tenants in common and also fail to identify where property should eb held in unequal shares by reason of different contributions being made at the time of purchase.
Claims against Accountants
- Samuels Solicitors LLP successfully acted against accountants who failed to advise properly on a complex high value tax saving scheme. When the scheme failed, the client was left with a large tax bill as well as financial penalties and other sanctions.
- Successful claims have been brought on behalf of clients against accountants who have failed to give correct advice on capital allowances, capital gains tax and inheritance tax. In one notable case, a client recovered over half a million pounds in damages against an accountant who failed to give correct advice on a complex avoidance scheme for capital gains tax.
Claims against Surveyors
- Successful claims have been brought against surveyors where the surveyor has failed to spot defects in property and clients have purchased in reliance of the negligent advice.
- Claims also arise where surveyors give negligent advice in their pre-purchase survey.
Claims against Financial Advisers
- A client sued her financial adviser who gave negligent investment advice. In particular the financial adviser had not correctly identified the clients attitude to risk and negligently advised to invest in high risk investments which subsequently failed.
Procedure for bringing a professional negligence claim
Most professional negligence claims are concluded without the need to bring court proceedings. This is because negligence claims are governed by a Pre-Action Protocol Procedure which actively encourages settlements without going to court.
Under the protocol, a detailed letter of claim is sent to the negligent professional. Invariably the insurers for the professional become involved at this early stage and a detailed response has to be given within three months.
The parties then have to consider ways of resolving the dispute without court proceedings which, in a large number of cases, involves mediation. In this way the majority of professional negligence cases can be resolved in a relatively quick and generally cost effective manner.
Funding a professional negligence claim
There are different funding options but in appropriate cases Samuels Solicitors LLP will share the risk of the litigation with clients by agreeing a Conditional (‘no win no fee’) Funding Option.
Why Samuels Solicitors LLP?
Samuels Solicitors LLP have built up an excellent reputation in dealing with professional negligence cases. We act for clients nationwide and in some cases overseas clients as well.
A “formidable litigator” is how one client described our senior partner Jan Samuel. Samuels Solicitors LLP now boast a team of experience professional negligence lawyers.
Free legal assessment
If you believe that you have been let down by a professional, do contact us for a free legal assessment.
As part of that assessment we will identify what steps need to be taken to investigate whether you have a claim.
Professional Negligence Claims
Jan has been a niche professional negligence litigator for decades, with experience and expertise that regularly impresses clients and opponents alike.
What our clients say
I was let down by my previous solicitors, but I felt confident in Samuels from the start. Samuels were superb. They won my case and I could not be more pleased with the outcome. Judith Thompson went out of her way to keep me informed. She is efficient and highly professional as well as being caring and compassionate. I would recommend Samuels to anyone who has been the victim of professional negligence.
We came to Samuels after a long time getting nowhere with our case. They believed in us from the outset and saw our case through to a more than satisfactory conclusion. Samuels gave outstanding support and understanding. We would recommend them.