Changing Your Child's Name

Do you want to change your child’s name?

If you wish to legally change your child's name, you can use the Deed Poll process if you have either:

•             the agreement of everyone with parental responsibility; or

•             a court order.

A mother automatically has parental responsibility and a father has parental responsibility if he’s either married to the child’s mother or is named on the birth certificate. The situation can be a little more complex if either of the child's parents has remarried.

Samuels Solicitors LLP charge a fixed fee for drafting the application and accompanying documents for enrolment with the Royal Courts of Justice, of £200 plus VAT. Court and advertising fees of £36 (inclusive of VAT) are also payable.

In order to prepare the deed poll application, our team will need to know the following:

•             Your child’s existing full name and new name, age and nationality;

•             Reason for change of name;

•             Full details of both parents (including whether you are married, separated or divorced); and

•             A copy of any court order (if already obtained).

The enrolment process includes preparing affidavit of best interest, obtaining a statutory declaration from a person who must state how long they have known you (which must be for no less than 10 years) and also how long they have known your child. This person must not related to you, they must be a Commonwealth or British citizen and a home owner. This affidavit must be sworn before another solicitor, and the fee for this is usually £5-10. An application for a notice in the London Gazette is also required, and we will deal with this for you.

If you want to change your child's name, we will make the process quick and simple for you. Why not contact us today to see how we can help?