Landlord and Tenant
At Samuels Solicitors LLP, based in Barnstaple and Kingsbridge, Devon, we have an excellent reputation for providing quality advice to both residential and commercial landlords and tenants.
Matters relating to landlord and tenant issues can be extremely complex and it is vital that you receive expert advice as soon as any issue arises, in order to avoid unfavorable outcomes and to avoid unnecessary costs being incurred.
Commercial Tenancy Disputes
In relation to commercial tenancies we advise on all of the relevant issues that can arise, including the following:
- Advice to both landlords and tenants on their rights and obligations;
- Providing advice in relation to the breaches of the lease, including the service of Section 146 Notices;
- Dealing with breaches of covenants contained within the lease;
- Advising both landlords and tenants in relation to the forfeiture of a lease and any relief that the tenant maybe entitled to;
- Advising on issues of enforcement, including commercial rent recovery;
- Drafting and serving notices on behalf of either party;
- Dealing with rent reviews; and
- Representing the landlord or tenant in negotiations, mediation and court proceedings.
Residential Tenancy Disputes
In relation to residential tenancies we offer comprehensive advice to both parties, including the following:
- Advising upon the terms and conditions of tenancy agreements and their suitability;
- Advising both tenants and landlords in relation to their rights and obligations;
- Dealing with tenants’ claims for housing disrepair, including pursuing or defending the claim under the relevant protocol, obtaining expert advice and issuing court proceedings;
- All issues concerning enforcement of the tenancy terms and conditions, including drafting and serving section 8 and section 21 notices;
- Dealing with possession proceedings for and against tenants; and
- Dealing with any contractual or statutory rent review.
We appreciate how important it is to resolve issues between landlords and tenants before matters escalate and, on as cost effective a basis as possible. We provide a high level of customer service and both our commercial and residential clients regularly recommend us to their colleagues, friends and family.
Contact us today for a free initial discussion about how we can help.
Latest Landlord and Tenant News
Commercial leases usually say that a landlord will not unreasonably withhold consent to a change of use, but what if they do refuse?28/04/2020
Buying your first property can be daunting, particularly if you are buying a lease. We provide links to information that can help.13/01/2020
A recent report has been highly critical of many of the aspects of leasehold property - is this something you need help with?25/04/2019
The Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 came into force last month, but what does fit for human habitation actually mean?17/04/2019
Strict new requirements for landlords of houses in multiple occupation are now in force - do the rules apply to the property you own or live in?07/01/2019
The government is consulting on what to do about rogue landlords, and leasehold properties, but what will happen?01/01/2019