Conveyancing & Property Fees
Speak to a conveyancing expert for a free quote today, by calling 01271 343457.
At Samuels we offer a fixed fee residential conveyancing service.
The fees we offer will vary depending on factors such as the value and complexity of the property involved, and the circumstances of the parties to the transaction. The table below shows the starting fee level applicable to certain transactions. Please contact us for a fixed fee quote which is tailored to your specific transaction. All fees shown below are exclusive of VAT.
If you are obtaining other quotes you may find that we are not the cheapest. Our aim is not to undercut our rivals but to offer a personal and expert service at a realistic price. We also do not charge any separate ‘add on’ fees for things like preparing standard documents or file storage. If we need to increase our fees due to an unforeseen issue then we will discuss this with you at the earliest opportunity as we are very aware that certainty is critical when budgeting for a property purchase.
Our prices are from:
- For a property with a value of up to £250,000, our fees for the sale of a freehold would start at £800, the sale of a leasehold at £900, the purchase of a freehold at £850, the purchase of a leasehold at £850 and a remortgage at £500.
- For a property with a value of £250,001 to £400,000, our fees for the sale of a freehold would start at £850, the sale of a leasehold at £950, the purchase of a freehold at £900, the purchase of a leasehold at £1,000 and a remortgage at £600.
- For a property with a value of £400,001 to £650,000, our fees for the sale of a freehold would start at £900, the sale of a leasehold at £1,000, the purchase of a freehold at £950, the purchase of a leasehold at £1,050 and a remortgage at £700.
- For a property with a value of £650,001 to £850,000, our fees for the sale of a freehold would start at £1,000, the sale of a leasehold at £1,100, the purchase of a freehold at £1,050, the purchase of a leasehold at £1,150 and a remortgage at £800.
- For a property with a value of £850,001 - £1,000,000, our fees for the sale of a freehold would start at £1,100, the sale of a leasehold at £1,200, the purchase of a freehold at £1,150, the purchase of a leasehold at £1,250 and a remortgage at £900.
- For a property with a value of over £1,000,001, our fees for the sale of a freehold would start at £1,350, the sale of a leasehold at £1,450, the purchase of a freehold at £1,400, the purchase of a leasehold at £1,500 and a remortgage at £1,000.
EXAMPLES OF WORK NOT INCLUDED:
- Title defects, such as the absence of a right of way – an additional fee may be payable for this, which we will discuss with you
- Unregistered property – approximately £150 - £250 plus VAT additional fee
- Unreasonable conduct of any of the parties
- Urgency of the transaction
- New build properties (purchase) – additional £250 plus VAT
- Help to buy ISA (purchase) – £50 per account
- Help to buy and shared ownership (purchase) – additional £150 - £250
- Management company enquiries (sale - if not leasehold) – additional £150 plus VAT
- Declarations to set out certain ownership arrangements (purchase) – please ask us for a fee quote
- On a purchase - your lender’s particular requirements arising from such matters as changes to the purchase price, title issues (including search results), additional adult occupiers, and gifted deposits – an additional fee may be payable for this, which we will discuss with you
- Requests for consent to transfer (sale) – an additional fee may be payable for this, which we will discuss with you
- Electronic money transfer fee - £30 plus VAT per transfer
- Obtaining official copies of the land register and other title documents - £3 per copy document
- Search fees on purchase and re-mortgage (average for North Devon and Torridge) – £200.00 to £250.00 plus VAT (regional variations apply)
- HM Land Registry registration fees (on purchase and re-mortgage) – dependent upon property value (https://landregistry.data.gov.uk/fees-calculator.html)
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (on purchase) – variable according to property value – (https://www.gov.uk/stamp-duty-land-tax/residential-property-rates)
- Pre-completion searches (on purchase and re-mortgage) - £3 to £12 on average
- Administration fees of a Landlord/managing agent (generally on sales) – these fees are typically charged by Landlords or their agents for the supply of information and documents about the management of the block and of communal areas. The amounts charged vary quite substantially depending on the organisation involved, but can amount to between £150 and £500 on average.
- Notice of transfer/charge fee/deed of covenant fee, certificate of compliance – these fees are typically charged by Landlords or their agents for registering documents after completion. The amounts charged vary quite substantially depending on the organisation involved, but are typically in the region of £150 plus VAT each.
Other disbursements may become necessary depending on the specific requirements of the transaction. We will notify you of these before taking any further action.
The time taken to get from initial instruction to completion of a standard residential sale or purchase will depend on a number of factors. The average transaction takes between 10 and 12 weeks. It can be quicker or slower, depending on certain factors such as the position of the parties in the chain, whether a mortgage is required to fund the purchase price, if there are any title defects to resolve prior to completion or if information or consent is required from third parties such as landlords or managing agents.
Our fees shown above for acting for both clients and their lenders on a re-mortgage will depend on the complexity of the mortgage instructions and of the property concerned, and whether the property is freehold or leasehold.
In addition to advising you on the mortgage terms and helping you with execution of the mortgage deed if required, we also have to satisfy the lender’s specific requirements in relation to the particular transaction, and these can vary between lenders.
Very often, lenders allow us to take out insurance in lieu of formal property searches, which amounts to a significant saving on search fees. Typically, for the average house these policies cost less than £100.
For leasehold properties, there may also be additional fees to pay to the Landlord or managing agent for information and documents and/or consent and other notices. We will find these out for you at an early stage.
Please note that the above fees only apply to mortgages or re-mortgages from recognised High Street lenders. Please refer to us for a specific quote if other types of lender are involved.
The above figures do not include any work required in relation to associated transfers of the property or other more complex property arrangements. We can provide you with a specific quote for those circumstances.