How do I change my solicitor?

Judith Thompson  14-10-2017

Changing your solicitor is very simple. All you need to do is to find a new solicitor to take over your case for you. The new solicitor will ask you to sign a form of authority so they can obtain your files from your previous solicitor. Your previous solicitors will release your files and then your new solicitor can pick up where they left off. 

In some cases, your previous solicitors will ask you to pay their outstanding fees before they will release the full file. However this is not always the case.

The position can be slightly more complicated if your previous solicitor is acting for you under the terms of a conditional (No Win No Fee) agreement, and you should take legal advice from your new solicitor, before discussing the change with your previous solicitor.

At Samuels Solicitors, we have a particular specialism in dealing with professional negligence claims against solicitors, so if we are able to identify that your previous solicitor has made a mistake, you could have a claim against them for damages. 

You are not obliged to stay with a solicitor who you are unhappy with and making the change is more simple than you might think.

If you would like to have a free, no obligation discussion with one of our experts about how to change your solicitor, contact us today.